Marketing Management Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you agree or disagree that a company cannot remain competitive if it stays product-focused??

+7
YOUNGJIN_KIM
Jamie_Tang
t97701103
ChienWei_Lee
camille_girard
Eva_Berends
chiaying_lin
11 posters

Go down

agree or disagree??

Do you agree or disagree that a company cannot remain competitive if it stays product-focused?? I_vote_lcap44%Do you agree or disagree that a company cannot remain competitive if it stays product-focused?? I_vote_rcap 44% 
[ 4 ]
Do you agree or disagree that a company cannot remain competitive if it stays product-focused?? I_vote_lcap56%Do you agree or disagree that a company cannot remain competitive if it stays product-focused?? I_vote_rcap 56% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 9

Do you agree or disagree that a company cannot remain competitive if it stays product-focused?? Empty Do you agree or disagree that a company cannot remain competitive if it stays product-focused??

Post by chiaying_lin Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:51 pm

Do you agree or disagree that a company cannot remain competitive if it stays product-focused??
and let's have a poll~

chiaying_lin

注冊日期 : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down

Do you agree or disagree that a company cannot remain competitive if it stays product-focused?? Empty Re: Do you agree or disagree that a company cannot remain competitive if it stays product-focused??

Post by Eva_Berends Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:54 pm

In addition to the poll, please explain why you agree or disagree Do you agree or disagree that a company cannot remain competitive if it stays product-focused?? Icon_smile
Eva_Berends
Eva_Berends

注冊日期 : 2010-02-26
年齡 : 34

Back to top Go down

Do you agree or disagree that a company cannot remain competitive if it stays product-focused?? Empty Re: Do you agree or disagree that a company cannot remain competitive if it stays product-focused??

Post by camille_girard Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:26 pm

Yes it is really important to concentrate on the customer insteed of focus on the product. The aim of the marketing is to sell the product and not to build a product which will have a lot of features. To sell the product, we have to care about customer expectation, customer needs. How many innovant product are useless. Or how many features a customer needs really when he buy a product. I think about IT product for example. If a company wants to minimize the risk on developping a product and to maximize profit, it has to care about customer.
camille_girard
camille_girard

注冊日期 : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ChienWei_Lee Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:27 pm

I think the poll question will be more precise after being revised to "Do you agree or disagree that a company cannot remain competitive if it only stays product-focused??"
ChienWei_Lee
ChienWei_Lee

注冊日期 : 2010-02-25
年齡 : 35
來自 : Taiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by chiaying_lin Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:34 pm

ChienWei_Lee wrote:I think the poll question will be more precise after being revised to "Do you agree or disagree that a company cannot remain competitive if it only stays product-focused??"

thanks very much for your reminding Very Happy but somehow the system doesn't allow me to change the poll title now ....
I will try again later.
thanks aga
in!

chiaying_lin

Back to top Go down

Post by t97701103 Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:47 pm

I believe it all depends on the structure of the market the company in question is operating on. On a highly fragmented market the possibilities of surviving when applying a traditional approach is probably quite limited. However, if there are only a few or maybe even one supplier of a product on the market, the possibilities for a product-focus approach are probably higher.

t97701103

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:54 pm

I agree with the person above ^ But I still do believe that a company will have much better chances at improving and is more likely to succeed if it switches over to being more customer-focused rather than only product-focused.

PS. More more opinions! Smile

Jamie_Tang

注冊日期 : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by YOUNGJIN_KIM Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:03 pm

yeah i agree that it depends on what types of company they are. for example, Manufacturing companies or companies which quality of product is important like luxury brand, steel company or etc would be more product-focused. As the IT was mentioned above, it can be seen that innovation product are useless?? but in my opinion, IT industry should be product-focused in order to developing the innovative product in functions way for customers.

YOUNGJIN_KIM

注冊日期 : 2010-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by MH_Huang Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:58 pm

"Quality" of goods and services depends on whether they meet customer demands. If customers like cheap goods and services, then companies should provide goods and services at the price level that customers can afford (correspondingly the goods and services are more likely to be of low quality at an objective sense). "Innovation" is the same. If "new" IT goods or services do not meet customer demands, they are not innovations; instead, those goods and services are "new rubbishes" that burn a company's money.

MH_Huang

注冊日期 : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by chiaying_lin Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:26 pm

First of all, thanks you professor and guys for sharing such inspirational opinions. Very Happy

In my opinion, it mainly depends on what kind of product the company sales.
For example, I believe that stay in product-focused will be less risky for Coca-cola Co. than a mobile phone co. like Nokia or LG.

chiaying_lin

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Ho Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:40 pm

I agree that a company cannot remain competitive if it only stays product-focused. I think that no matter what the product is, the product which no customer wants to buy is almost useless. The value of product depends on the value customers regard. And if a firm don't treat customers' needs as important as possible, it would be very hard to serve the product which meets the customers' needs. For extreme example, if customers regard a product as zero value, they won't buy any one even the price is very low. Then the firm cannot remain competitive at all.

Frank_Ho

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Yes you make a good point, products are only worth as much as the desire we have for them. If there are no customers, there are no products.

Jamie_Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Chen Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:57 pm

Depending on market environment and the condition of the company....

Cost and trade off must be carefully measured before reinventing your marketing strategies.

afro
Ian Chen
Ian Chen

Back to top Go down

Post by MaoHung_Wang Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:24 pm

If add "only" to the question, I will vote agree.
But now I vote disagree, the reason is some new product is too novel to the people. Like TV or the Internet, no customer survey can tell you there will be a boom for these things, people cant image them yet.

MaoHung_Wang

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:32 pm

Yes but even if they're not popular at the time, then there is even more reason to try to get customers and try to make it popular right? So then once or if that product does become popular, then they will have a head start against other companies that are not as much customer-based as this one.

Jamie_Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by MaoHung_Wang Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:40 pm

Yeah, if they didn't get popular, they need to find reason and try to improve it.There won't by any firm really ignore all customer's opinion.

But my point is some function customers love but cant image could be created by product-focused firm, though maybe not much.

MaoHung_Wang

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum