Marketing Management Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does 'sustainability' mean to you?

+4
ChienWei_Lee
MH_Huang
Lin_Chen
camille_girard
8 posters

Go down

What does 'sustainability' mean to you? Empty What does 'sustainability' mean to you?

Post by camille_girard Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:56 pm

The case stydu discusses five different companies’ approach in shifting towards sustainability. What does sustainability mean to you ?
camille_girard
camille_girard

注冊日期 : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

What does 'sustainability' mean to you? Empty Re: What does 'sustainability' mean to you?

Post by Lin_Chen Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:40 pm

Also, to expand on this question: Are you taking any sorts of action in your daily life to be more sustainable? If not, why?
Lin_Chen
Lin_Chen

注冊日期 : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

What does 'sustainability' mean to you? Empty Re: What does 'sustainability' mean to you?

Post by MH_Huang Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Sustainability can be considered as “meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” It is not just about a company's short-term profitability, but takes into consideration of environment, economy and social justice.

MH_Huang

注冊日期 : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Lin_Chen Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:55 pm

Professor Huang makes a good point. Sustainability does not only include environment efforts, but also the society and economic aspects. To me, sustainability is about being aware of your surroundings and doing your part to maintain our planet. Those actions can be lowering consumption, using less energy and water, maintaining peace among countries, etc.

For myself, sustainability is an important issue to me. I am always trying to do anything I can to maintain the earth - including: using reusable bags, turning off the lights, taking short showers, opening the window instead of using the A/C, reusing plastic bags, taking leftover foods from restaurants to make another meal, buying biodegradable products, and the list goes on.
Lin_Chen
Lin_Chen

注冊日期 : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ChienWei_Lee Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:55 pm

haha, to say something out of the topic:
At the first time I saw the account "MH_Huang", I was wondering who he/she is.
Now after reading the first line of Lin's reply, I finally found that "MH_Huang" is really our professor.
ChienWei_Lee
ChienWei_Lee

注冊日期 : 2010-02-25
年齡 : 35
來自 : Taiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Chen Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:14 pm

I think the concept of being "Sustainability" also imply that companies should create more positive externalities
while performing their operation. Action such as monitoring poteintial enviornmental pollution, replacing with recyclable meterials,
and reducing energy comsuption can not only create long-term value for companies but also brings good effects to our nature living...

What does 'sustainability' mean to you? Lol
Ian Chen
Ian Chen

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:56 pm

Well, sustainability (as far as my personal life goes) means to not waste things or do something that can be harmful to the environment. In my own daily life, I usually try to use less energy (I think it might have to do more with me paying for my own energy here though xD), turning off things that I don't need when I leave my room, recycling, and maybe sometimes not using those items known to be non-environment friendly.

Jamie_Tang

注冊日期 : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Lu_Song Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:04 pm

Sustainability means consumption without negatively affecting the world around you.

Lu_Song

注冊日期 : 2010-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo_Kuo Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:31 pm

To me, sustainability means to make all lives to live.
More specificly, it means keep humans out of extinction and keep earth healthy!

i had a ecological class last semester.
The ecological professor forced us to go through an enrgy-saving month.
In energy-saving month, everyone had to design a energy-saving life style and to do their best to reduce energy wastes.
After that, everyone recorded the energy they used, and professor choose who did the best and the creativiest.

i changed a lot after the energy-saving life.
For example, i began to do recycling, bring my own chopsticks, shut dwon the laptop when not use....etc.
i think everyone should experience energy-saving month! : )
Nemo_Kuo
Nemo_Kuo

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum