Marketing Management Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nike's "green" shoes!

+4
t97701103
Ian Chen
ChienWei_Lee
Nemo_Kuo
8 posters

Go down

Nike's "green" shoes! Empty Nike's "green" shoes!

Post by Nemo_Kuo Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:14 pm

Do you think Nike's strategy to manufacture a "green" shoe is
customer-focused or product-focused?

Would you buy it?
Nemo_Kuo
Nemo_Kuo

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Nike's "green" shoes! Empty Re: Nike's "green" shoes!

Post by Nemo_Kuo Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:13 pm

i think it is hard for me to define Nike's green shoes as customer-focused or product-focused products.
If u really want me to choose, i will choose that Nike's green shoes are product-focused.

Nike decided to manufacture green shoes because they want to reduce costs and achieve zero wastes.
They did not make the strategy due to customers' feelings.
Therefore i think Nike's strategy to manufacture a "green" shoe is
product-focused.
Nemo_Kuo
Nemo_Kuo

Back to top Go down

Post by ChienWei_Lee Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:19 pm

I think it is customer-oriented because Nike sees the potential of green products of future customers.
If it is product-oriented, Nike won't do such cost-up behavior while the function is basically the same.

Although I support developing green products, I won't buy it.
Because I don't like Nike's design except its basketball shoes.
But now I seldomly play basketball, so...
ChienWei_Lee
ChienWei_Lee

注冊日期 : 2010-02-25
年齡 : 35
來自 : Taiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo_Kuo Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:20 pm

And i would buy Nike's green shoes if the price is still the same as their original shoes.
Definitely, if they cut down the price, my willing to buy their green shoes will increase!
(i think cutting down the price of green shoes is reasonable because the cost is reduced.)
Nemo_Kuo
Nemo_Kuo

Back to top Go down

Post by ChienWei_Lee Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:27 pm

XD it seems that we have different opinions on the topic.
Why do you think manufacturing green shoes can reduce costs?
ChienWei_Lee
ChienWei_Lee

年齡 : 35
來自 : Taiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Chen Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:45 pm

ChienWei_Lee wrote:I think it is customer-oriented because Nike sees the potential of green products of future customers.
If it is product-oriented, Nike won't do such cost-up behavior while the function is basically the same.

Although I support developing green products, I won't buy it.
Because I don't like Nike's design except its basketball shoes.
But now I seldomly play basketball, so...

Yeah, I agree with the point that Lee has written. And I think it's ideological trend to every civilized society. Remind me of that the key factor of marketing strategy development is to focus on "what customers want" & "How to meet their need"....

So, in my opinion, It's more like customer-oriented to me....

Nike's "green" shoes! Lol
Ian Chen
Ian Chen

Back to top Go down

Post by t97701103 Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Nike definitley had consumers perceptions in mind when developing their "green" shoe. Obviously they want to have an image of being an environmental friendly company. If costs are reduced at the same time, it is a way of optimizing their gaines. That part cannot really be said to be neither customer nor product focused more like company focused in that case Wink. To summarize my thinkings, it was to an extent customer focused, it was no no extent product focused and it was to an extent neither product nor customer focused. I do not wear Nike´s.

t97701103

注冊日期 : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:52 pm

I also believe that Nike's green shoe is more customer-oriented. Nike sees the recent hype with the "green", environmental friendly trends being more popular with customers, and they are trying to cater to the customer's wants, hence the green shoe. This wouldn't happen if customers weren't interested in "green" items. So, I'd say that its a more customer-oriented strategy.

Jamie_Tang

注冊日期 : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by MaoHung_Wang Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:36 pm

I think that Nike's green shoe is customer-oriented too. Maybe reduce the waste will save some cost. But to reach this goal you usually need to invest much money to improve production line, I don't think the saving amount could catch up on this.

And if they make green shoes just for reduce cost, they will not notice consumer about "green" shoes.

MaoHung_Wang

Back to top Go down

Post by YOUNGJIN_KIM Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:59 pm

I agree with that the 'Green' shoe is more customer-oriented. The trends now are eco-friendly in most area. So people prefer to buy environmental-friendly product. and firms are also more focused on CSR and environment things.

YOUNGJIN_KIM

Back to top Go down

Post by Lu_Song Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:00 pm

Jamie_Tang wrote:I also believe that Nike's green shoe is more customer-oriented. Nike sees the recent hype with the "green", environmental friendly trends being more popular with customers, and they are trying to cater to the customer's wants, hence the green shoe. This wouldn't happen if customers weren't interested in "green" items. So, I'd say that its a more customer-oriented strategy.

I agree with Jamie. If it was product oriented, they would have thought about this long time ago. It's only after much consumer demand and appreciation for green products that Nike has made this shift. Being green now is a reflection of status...usually people who are wealthier, more educated, more liberal go green. Thus, for consumers, it's also a status trend.

Lu_Song

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum