Marketing Management Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could the financial crisis have been avoided?

+8
chiaying_lin
Jamie_Tang
ChienWei_Lee
TA_Max
Ian Chen
camille_girard
MH_Huang
t97701103
12 posters

Go down

Could the financial crisis have been avoided? Empty Could the financial crisis have been avoided?

Post by t97701103 Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:05 am

could the financial crisis have been avoided if subprime ads were not misleading?

Last edited by t97701103 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

t97701103

注冊日期 : 2010-03-08

Back to top Go down

Could the financial crisis have been avoided? Empty Re: Could the financial crisis have been avoided?

Post by t97701103 Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:01 am

Short background:
Two of the reasons/potential reasons for the financial crisis is mentioned in the summary of the article. The first one is the advertising from lending institutions that might have misled subprime borrowers to take loans they couldnt really afford. The second reason is that banks did not ask borrowers for as much information (information regarding incomes and employment for example) as they normally do and thereby they granted loans that they would normally not have done. The reason for this was that the banks after granting the loans, sold the right to claim borrowers depts to finacial institutions. the financial institutions later on put a lot of these claims together and sold them to investors as obligations. In that way, borrowers no longer owe the bank which lended them money anymore, but investors that bought obligations. These obligations has been proved to be a very unsafe investment. However, when investors actually did invest, they did that believing that it was a safe investment. The financial institutions mixed good loans with subprime loans in the obligations, therefore the obligations were wrongly graded as a safe investment by independent credit institutions.

refernce(all in swedish unfortunately): http://klotband.wordpress.com/2007/12/22/subprime-forklarat/

t97701103

Back to top Go down

Could the financial crisis have been avoided? Empty Re: Could the financial crisis have been avoided?

Post by MH_Huang Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:42 pm

I like the question. I would like to rephrase the question to "can the financial crisis be avoided if subprime ads are not misleading?" to make it have an even stronger implication for our class.

MH_Huang

注冊日期 : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by camille_girard Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:08 pm

I don't thing the financial crisis would be avoided because advertisers are not only guilty : government, bank, speculator, etc... The subprime ads have intensify the misleading and infuencing people to apply for loans.
But the governementt should acted before the crisis on providing information to the consumers and on making ad regulations as they are doing after the crisis.
camille_girard
camille_girard

注冊日期 : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Chen Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:11 pm

"can the financial crisis be avoided if subprime ads are not misleading?"

In my opinion, it's impossible to eliminate all problems even though subprime ads are not misleading... In the article, the author mentioned that subprime borrowers are less educated and less financially sophisticated than their prime market counterparts. Some people always spend money without estimating their financial capability, thus, result in financial crisis...

There's not enough to do something on ads misleading. Firms should exam those subprime borrowers with more carefully financial appraisal, and help them with customized repaying plans

Basketball
Ian Chen
Ian Chen

注冊日期 : 2010-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by t97701103 Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:36 pm

I would like to rephrase the question to "can the financial crisis be avoided if subprime ads are not misleading?"

Good point, I´ll edit it

t97701103

Back to top Go down

Post by t97701103 Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:48 pm

Firms should exam those subprime borrowers with more carefully financial appraisal, and help them with customized repaying plans
Do you mean the people who cannot repay their loans now or do you mean that the customization should´ve been done before the loan was granted?

t97701103

Back to top Go down

Post by t97701103 Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:12 pm

camille_girard wrote:I don't thing the financial crisis would be avoided because advertisers are not only guilty : government, bank, speculator, etc... The subprime ads have intensify the misleading and infuencing people to apply for loans.
But the governementt should acted before the crisis on providing information to the consumers and on making ad regulations as they are doing after the crisis.

I agree with you that authorities could have done more to prevent the crisis when it comes to regulating the content of ads. However, I believe that it is the banks/lending institutions responsibility to inform their clients and not the government. The institutions does not seem to have been acting in a serious matter in this case. They were basically only interested in selling their product which the advertising reflects. It is also reflected by loans being granted that normally wouldn´t be. All this because these institutions knew that they would not have to claim the money back from their clients in the long run.

t97701103

Back to top Go down

Post by TA_Max Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:54 pm

I think that the bad design of this financial product may be the main reason of the financial crisis. All other factors just worsen the situation.

TA_Max

注冊日期 : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ChienWei_Lee Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:33 pm

MH_Huang wrote:I like the question. I would like to rephrase the question to "can the financial crisis be avoided if subprime ads are not misleading?" to make it have an even stronger implication for our class.

I think the answer to this question is no.
Subprime mortgage crisis happening can be mainly attribute to those complicated and risky financial products.
Some of those products even should not have brought to the market.
Furthermore, whether Ads are misleading or not, subprime borrowers couldn't really understand these venturesome financial derivatives.
As the article mentioned that subprime mortgage borrowers are usually low-educated.
Not to mention that even a well-educated person won't know those financial products' hazard if he/she didn't involve with finance before.
Therefore, misleading ads are only accelerating the process of the crisis.
The right things to do is revising the finance policies so that those problem causing products can not be sold to consumers.
ChienWei_Lee
ChienWei_Lee

注冊日期 : 2010-02-25
年齡 : 35
來自 : Taiwan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Chen Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:58 pm

t97701103 wrote:
Firms should exam those subprime borrowers with more carefully financial appraisal, and help them with customized repaying plans
Do you mean the people who cannot repay their loans now or do you mean that the customization should´ve been done before the loan was granted?

I know that there's some statistic model to estimate the financial capability. By using the model, you can easily determine whether the person can apply the loan or not. After the loan was granted, you should help the person with developing a customized repaying plan which he/she capable to follow...

lol!
Ian Chen
Ian Chen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie_Tang Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:30 pm

I'd have to say no as well. There were so many factors that played into the financial crisis, I don't think just ending misleading advertisements would have been able to stop it. Misleading or not, there was already a lot of risks associated with subprime lending, and the misleading ads only added to the mess.

Jamie_Tang

注冊日期 : 2010-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by chiaying_lin Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:54 pm

I agree with Jamie I love you
there are way too many factors lead to this financial crisis and economic depression, subprime issue does play an important part though.

chiaying_lin

Back to top Go down

Post by Erin_Lo Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:08 am

I agree with the point above. I think the financial crisis can be reduced a little if subprime ads are not misleading, but it can't be extremely avoided just by proper subprime ads since there are so many factors may result to financial crisis.

Erin_Lo

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank_Ho Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:25 am

I think the answer is no. When bubbles blew, people became more and more irrational. And then, whether the ads were misleading or not didn’t matter anymore because most people had less conscious about the risk when everything looked great. The truth is: even the smartest financial engineers still could not foresee and prevent the crisis. Moreover, most of them didn’t notice that these terrible things would happen, that’s why many companies and governments got hurt badly.

Frank_Ho

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo_Kuo Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:38 am

I don't think the financial crisis could be avoided.
Like Jamie, Chiaying and Erin said, there are many factors leading to financial crisis,
And i think everything in the world has cycle and limitations.
For example, huaman has 24 hours as a day cycle, and earth has 10,000 years as a ice age cycle.
Therefore,i think the financial crisis is inevitable.
Nemo_Kuo
Nemo_Kuo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lu_Song Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:52 am

I don't think the financial crisis could have been avoided if the subprime ads were not misleading. The reason is because the factors that directly and indirectly caused it are many and complicated.

First off, a significant reason for the crisis is deeply rooted in society's value (or lack of).
People were/are greedy...some more than other...and some a lot more than others. Corporations and individuals wanted high returns without the hard work.
People wanted instant gratification without the sacrifice. Think credit cards usages. purchasing things without enough money to pay it off.
People are opportunists. They wanted to jump on the opportunities of todayw without thinking about the consequences fo tomorrow.
These are the core reasons the financial crisis happened. The boom in home purchases, in stocks, in portfolios with guaranteed high returns are just the vehicles used by people to satisfy themselves. Thus, a financial crash was bound to happen. However, had there been better regulations, less misleading ads, the extent of the crisis may have been lessen.

Lu_Song

注冊日期 : 2010-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum